View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 AM

Default Dac1hdr

I spoke with Benchmark yesterday about the DAC1HDR. The HDR stands for "high dynamic range volume control". The specs appear identical to the DAC1 Pre. The HDR unit features a remote control with a volume control, a neat feature for those using the unit as a preamp. It should also be useful to mute or tone down commercials when a TV is connected to the HDR. The unit also comes in black.
I have been testing a DAC1 Pre for the last couple of weeks. It is very impressive connected to my Logitech Squeezebox Duet, which it otherwise unlistenable without the DAC1 pre interface. The DAC1Pre creates very smooth and dynamic music out of the squeezebox with a deep and expansive soundstage. Amazing versatility and sound quality from those two units hooked in tandem.
Will be sending my DAC1 Pre back to Benchmark next week for replacement with an HDR version. For me the remote is a worthwhile feature.
I have also ordered a MCD500 to compare the DAC's in that with the Benchmark DAC1 HDR.
It will be mid May or so before I have a chance to get both units and compare. I will report my impressions to AA folks after I have had them in my system for awhile.
BTW, price for new DAC1HDR is $1895.00.