View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 05:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0b View Post
Dan, thanks for all the details and pics! My F112 (v1) died about a week ago, leading me to search online. I found posts from others complaining about similar issues. However only your post had sufficient info for me to attempt this on my own.

I also had trouble removing the amp, but the M6 machine screws did the trick! I only needed one and the amp came out enough for me to do the rest.

Once the amp was on my workbench, I removed the hex bolts holding the PCB and the power transistors, but the PCB was still stuck. Turns out there is some black mushy material (silicon caulking?) on the large capacitors that hold it to the metal. Slicing it near the metal freed it.

I did not have an ESR device, so I ended up changing both caps that you referenced from Mouser. I double checked my work and put everything back together including the cable ties that hold the wires in place.

I plugged the amp back in and attached a few screws to hold it in place. I plugged in the power cable and it turned back on! My amp was finally on again! Big sigh of relief.

At this point, I heard some ground noise I never heard before. I don’t know why, but figured maybe something else had also gone wrong. Since the hum was mild, I figured it should be fine from in my listening chair. I unplugged power, finished securing all the screws, then moved the sub back into its place. I plugged in the source RCAs and the power cable. The ground hum was now gone... no idea about this one.

I played a few tracks and all was well!

Oddly, I became somewhat accustomed to listening without the sub, and realized I had its level higher than necessary. I adjusted it slightly down and now the bass transitions smoothly from my Olympica III’s to the sub bass of the F112.

Very happy this repair went so smoothly. Thanks again Dan!
r0b.......You are quite welcome. I am happy to know my thread and the repair I outlined served to get you back up and running. I have to commend you on your effort. Digging into the back side of a JL Audio f112/f113 can be daunting. You saved yourself about $500.00 in repair and shipping cost, not to mention wrestling that monster of a sub back into its shipping box and getting it shipped. Congratulations on your successful repair. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A