View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 09:49 AM

After close to 6 months and some 450 hours, these are the nice findings:
1. The 300B tubes seemed "burn in" nicely. Now just plain musical and very very analogue and sweet. Maybe its there high resolution files playing thru the Lux D-10x, I would have swear I am listening to Vinyl if I closed my eyes.
2. I have upgraded the Roon Nucleus+, from 4TB HDD to a 8TB SSD as storage seems to be using up pretty fast, especially storing high resolution files. It may look humble, a black box but I am sure it is up there with even the Aurender A30 something I did consider buying when I changed the set up. I am glad I "give it a chance", paired with the Luxman D-10x DAC and I am glad I did. Saved me a bundle.
3.The small Avantgarde Uno XD (Piano finish) performed really well. It made me realised that Horns MUST be partnered with Tubes, especially SET/300B's is indeed magical. I used to own the previous version of the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2 in my previous home and always, always, something tells me it does not seem quite right even though they were partnered with the same company's Pre/Power. Whether it is "psycho acoustics" effect or a "mental presumption", somehow, this combo, much humble than the Duo Mezzo (in size and cost) seems that tad more right in my smaller room and musical. Something Ive never done before, listening for a straight 6 hours.
4. This is one retirement hifi decision I've never looked back nor even can nit pick. These days, I just plonk myself on my Eames, touch my iPad for the Roon UI and just let the music flow. In fact, Ive never played more than 100 hours of Vinyl. Files never seemed so analogue before. OK, Vinyl does have that tad much more sweetness but then, it cost way much more than the humble Roon Nucleus+. I know one day I will upgrade the SSD to a 10TB or even 12TB if the costs by then are "reasonable".
In summary, I am enjoying my retirement everyday, playing with this system Ive amassed. Its close to 10 pm here now and I am going into my small music room to enjoy the fruits of my labour.
Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar