View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 12:44 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Another fun fact about the 6h30 is that if you want to do "tube rolling", then avoid a preamp that uses this tube. There are only 2 tubes you can get for this, and my understanding is that they are essentially the same. There's the sovtek version and the electroharmonix. The EH version is the same as the sovtek, except it has gold pins.
That's correct, Marc. I used Sovtek 6N30P-DRs in my CJ CT-5, which I just sold, BTW. I would classify them as a very neutral tube. but they are not Amperex Bugle Boy 6922s, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Same with the bigger 6550 tube. However there are NOS versions of this tube that are in high demand.

This is why you don't hear many people talking about tube rolling with Audio Research. There's not much you can do.
With respect to the 6550s, I would agree. It's not...um, my favorite power tube. Luckily, with C-J's blessing, I was able to substitute the specified 6550's in my LP-70S with Tung-Sol KT120s, which are not only a much better-sounding tube, but more durable as well.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.