View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 05:53 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
I currently have a VPI Typhoon HW-27 RCM and looking to go Ultrasonic. Looking for some recommendations.
There are many paths open to you. At a top level are two broad categories:
1. the out-of-the-box manufactured desktop USC (ultrasonic cleaner) that is essentially a one button full cycle machine capable of processing a sinlge record at a time.
2. the DIY approach where you assemble a few off-the-shelf components to make your own USC which is typically capable of cleaning 3-6 records at a time.

The main variables for all USC cleaners include: a) a cleaning solution composed of distilled/purified water and surfactants (cleaning chemicals), b) the number and operating frequency of the ultrasonic transducers (devices that create the ultrasonic energy in the cleaning solution,) c) the temperature of the cleaning solution, d) the length of time the ultrasonic energy is applied to the record, and e) how the wet record gets dry.

The main thing a manufactured desktop machine has going for it is convenience. Follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the manufacturer's supplied chemicals and you will get the result the machine is capable of giving. Not all machines are equal and generally you get what you pay for. Most (all?) have a warranty. If the machine breaks while under warranty you're in luck. All will break at some point.

The main thing the DIY approach has going for it is the user is in control of the variables (above), the components that make up the system, and DIY typically is capable of higher throughput, ie, more records get cleaned quicker.

Cost? Decent manufactured desktop machines run $3000-$4000. Decent DIY systems can be built for $2000 and up; you determine the quality of the components. You can assemble a better DIY machine than any of the out-of-box units on the market today based on how much you want to spend. Both will require replacement of consumables such as chemicals and filters.

At present the two main out-of-the-box units are the Audio Desk from Germany and the Degritter from Estonia. The Audio Desk uses a single ultrasonic transducer and 4 rotating brushes to clean the record. The Degritter uses two ultrasonic transducers. Both are primarily mechanical devices that rotate a record, drain and fill the solution tank, and run a fan to dry the record.

The Degritter company is newer and has much better marketing. The Audio Desk has been around much longer. Audio Desk was the pioneer developer of the desktop record cleaner and early models had some problems as the design was refined. Any discussion of Audio Desk inevitably attracts complainers who experienced some of those problems, but the current machines are reliable. Both machines have pros and cons. As is the case of much in audiophilery, owners of each will testify to the wonderfulness of their purchases.

I've been a student of record cleaning machines and ultrasonic cleaners for several years now. My survey of many audio forums suggests there are likely at least as many people doing DIY as using manufactured units and there is quite a bit of active discussion on various DIY options. Ultrasonic cleaning has been used in various industries for decades and there is far more knowledge about it than you'll find in the audio world where there is a lot of misinformation.

I've owned a Loricraft PRC-3 cleaner (a point nozzle vacuum machine based on the Keith Monks machines), an Audio Desk (sold) and now use my own DIY system. I've written three articles on building a DIY system - these are published on The Vinyl Press:
Tima's DIY RCM
Tima's RCM - followup #1
Tima's DIY RCM - followup #2

There is an excellent highly detailed technical paper by Neil Antin, an ex-Navy professional, published for download at The Vinyl Press: Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records

If you opt to continue using your VPI HW-27 (basically a vacuum), you might be interested in my review of cleaning chemicals for those types of machines: Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions • Record-Cleaning Products