View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 07:59 PM

While I am a little sad that the Sony has expired, I recently "cut the cord" and am now streaming all my TV & movie entertainment. Having a new generation "smart" TV appeals to me as the Sony was a bit limited in that area.

Today's TV's either work on WiFi, hardwired ethernet or both. Since I have ethernet at the location the TV sits, plugging in will be easy and the TV app should show me most, if not all, my streamed content. It also appears that I can put the Roku box aside unless there is some content I stream that isn't available on the TV app. I doubt that this is the case but it's nice to have options, isn't it?

For me, the first part of the TV selection game is research and that almost always means a spreadsheet. Content of my spreadsheet for this year's game was:

MFGR
Model
MSRP

Size
Display Type
Display Rez
4K ?
HDR or UHD?
HDCP Spec
Backlight Type
Native HZ Refresh
Wide Color Gamut
Operating System

Inputs - Type & Number
HDMI
Ethernet
Composite Video
Component Video
USB

Outputs - Type & Number
Digital Audio
Analog RCA/Headphone

Whew...So not only did I need to list some relevant specifications I also had to research different screen types & screen technologies, differences in OS and how they operate, backlit vs. edge lit technology, OLED vs. QLED vs. LED, .... and a bunch more. Oh, and don't forget HDCP specifications, either, if you want that full 4K streamed content experience.

I had my work cut out for me...

Last edited by Yamaki; 06-08-2019 at 08:20 PM.