View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jerome, I can't tell you if the CAT sounds better than GAT2, I have never auditioned the GAT2 but spent quite a bit of time with the various CATs over the years listening to them in various systems. The CAT was an incredible preamp back then and nothing changed since then. My whole point was is that I feel some audio gear is drastically overpriced banking on the fact that they have a following and exploiting the loyalty of customers. Throw a few of them out there to the reviewers of the better known audio magazines who are all too happy to do a favorable review because the advertising fees is what keeps them in business (magazines) and they also often get to keep the gear at a substantial discount (professional courtesy discount) sometimes keeping it, sometimes selling it... I have never put too much faith in any magazine reviews because I know the business model all too well. I was also involved with marketing and advertising and a health magazine at one point in my life. I know how important advertising bucks are.

Trust your ears only my friend. When you can't audition, trust the ears of the friends who share your passion for audio and you know their taste in sound/music and can deduce from there.

Over the years, we get to know each other pretty well from posts and get a picture of who likes what and their taste. When I was looking for a DAC, I knew I could trust Stephen with his suggestion because he knew the DAC I was interested in well. He described it to me down to the last detail and that's exactly what it turned out to be. The advice of audio buddies carries much more worth and weight than any magazine, at least to me.

Having said all that, I am not suggesting you go looking for a CAT preamp or anything else for that matter, you are happy with the GAT and that's all that matters. Would you spend $24k on a new one? I'd rather convince you to be careful and try to save you money!

Serge...
I agree.
And I would not spend 24k on any unit in hifi today. Money is just too hard to earn !
As I said, I was very lucky to get a second hand GAT at a very friendly price and in a mint condition.