View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 01:58 PM

@Eswiener

There are a few places to read up on various V and owner comparisons in addition to this is Audiogon; search for "Legacy V" and you'll find quite a bit including contributions and pointers to reviews by Doug Schroeder on Dagogo over the years for V, Valor and I believe AERIS as well. You'll also find various posts from me there so i won't copy-paste all the parts here.

Overall the biggest difference between V and AERIS is centered around two things, the type of music you listen to and presentation you prefer, and the size of your room. AERIS will fill a big room (19 x 26 x 9, open doorways and long hallway on one side in my case) very easily and probably an even larger room. They can also sound wonderful in a 14 x 17 room or similarly sized room (ncluding square if that is what you are living with) or even larger open spaces. Wavelet with AERIS (like V) will take care of many things that usually would plague a normal passive speaker owner and would necessitate possibly quite extensive room treatments.

The V are capable of filling an even larger room or sounding great in a medium-sized room. Given the driver sizes and layout, I would not advise them in a smallish room (14 x 15, 14 x 13, etc) simply due to the volume of bass they put out. That stated I believe AERIS and V both "get down" to the 16-18 Hz region equally well, the difference with V is the larger volume I believe they are capable of filling.

The V is a prime speaker choice if you like club-size presentation, rock concert, etc...it resolves well and images well however I have found that AERIS, Whisper XDS and Valor are the pinpoint imaging champs (also 3D sound-staging champs) in the line with V a close 2nd (still easily besting many other higher priced speakers) while AERIS and Valor are also capable of that "big" ensemble/rock or other concert venue magic. This assessment based upon spending several entire days across multiple listening sessions with V in various rooms; it is possible that I would hear even more from V if I had owned them.

I found (opinion) AERIS, Whisper XDS and Valor from the top of the line (like V) to be more to my preferences for listening in that I want a speaker that will pinpoint image, 3D sound stage as well as handle the big stuff without
losing the ability to resolve solo instruments within a full big concert (symphony or other) playback. V does incredibly well however I think detail while playing back at higher SPL and bigger ensembles are better conveyed by AERIS, Whisper XDS and particularly Valor.

AERIS has a 10" midrange driver which is fantastic and another differentiator. Valor has 14" bass, 14" mid-bass and 14" midrange drivers....if you want to push a boundary, "save up for a once and done speaker", etc...I would look also at Valor.

FYI, AERIS bass....very fast, very agile and tuneful.

AERIS and V upper frequency extension, air, transients/sense of space, etc...on par with each other I would say due to similar approaches using AMT tweeter assemblies.

Don't get me wrong, V is a fine speaker and depending upon what you play, could be much better for you than AERIS.

Sorry for the delay in responding....this topic is much more fully and easily discussed via phone,....happy to give many more specifics and album/track references for differences I remember in listening sessions between the 2 anytime from tomorrow onward...

A very good friend on Agon (see virtual systems "Steve's Vs", has owned the V speakers for years and uses them in a big room with a 6-pak of JL 113v2 subs (wow!); he is a music lover and knows more about V in real life than anyone I know. i would suggest connectiving with him as well!

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 03-09-2023 at 09:30 PM.