View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 02:07 PM

Following-up on my post from last month… I didn’t have much luck via email, but Bricasti support was excellent by phone. I got around to phoning them directly last week. Here’s what I learned:

Regarding the M1SE not waking up from standby mode automatically when receiving a track via Roon. It does not wake up automatically. You have to wake it up manually first. Bricasti acknowledged this behavior. I don’t think they consider it a bug. I don’t really consider it a bug either - just a missing convenience. Though the display of “RELEASE” on the front panel in this situation does seem glitchy to me. Not a big deal.

Bricasti emailed me a PDF copy of the latest manual (“MDx 1.04 release 2/21”), which is newer than the printed copy that came with my brand new M1SE and newer than the one posted on their web site. It resolves most of the discrepancies I found between the manual and observed behavior.

The menu levels “Output Sample Rate” and “Digital Overflow” below the “Status” button described in the older manual, are in fact pro audio features not meant for consumer use. They no longer appear in the latest manual. The “Remote” menu level that was missing from the older manual is now included in the latest one. No issue here.

The DSD Filters described in the manual as user-selectable don’t seem to be accessible from the unit itself. So this remains an open question.

Bricasti explained that the “RBalNORM”/“RBalSTBY” feature turns out to be a way to change the behavior of the remote control unit. It allows the user to toggle the behavior of the balance button between a “balance” function and a “stand by” function. However, my remote control does not have a balance button. I was unable to try out this feature.

The jiggle in the Stillpoints feet, as suspected, was only a matter of imperfect flatness of my rack shelf. No issue here.

Well, again, I don’t want to give a false negative impression. The M1SE sounds great and is very easy to operate. I always do this with a new piece of equipment - explore the manual and controls to see what it can do and understand all the settings. Sharing my experience here for new users who may be searching the boards with similar questions.

Thanks to Bricasti for the post-sale support.