View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 03:59 PM

Thank you both for answering.

Strange, I wasn't pushing any buttons at the time. In fact, the M1SE was in standby mode and I played a track in Roon to the M1SE network input. Then the M1SE displayed "RELEASE" on its front panel, but did not otherwise wake up and play music. I had to press the "Stand by" button twice to wake it up and hear music. I suppose the lesson is to always bring it out of standby mode first. For comparison, I also have a MOON 780Dv2 and it will wake itself up from standby mode automatically when I send it a track from Roon.

I think the manual does need some updating. In fact, the printed copy that came in the box ("MDx 1.00 release 2/20") is newer than the PDF copy on the Bricasti web site ("V1.22 release 9/14").

Other issues:

The manual says the “Status” button on the front panel leads to 8 levels of menu, but only describes 7 levels:
1. Input Type/Running Sample Rate
2. Output Sample Rate
3. Digital Overflow
4. Temp Monitor
5. Version
6. Phase (has “PhaseNRM” and “PhaseINV” settings that turn phase inversion off or on)
7. Trigger (has “CtrlTRIGI”, “CtrlTRIGO”, and “CtrlREMOT” settings that configure behavior of trigger jack on rear panel)

However, I find that my M1SE has these menu levels:
1. Input Type/Running Sample Rate
4. Temp Monitor
5. Version (mine reads “MDx 1.04”)
7. Trigger
6. Phase
8. Remote (has “RemoteON” and “RemotOFF” settings that enable and disable the hand-held remote control unit)

#2 and #3 are missing and #8 is added.

The manual refers to multiple filters available for DSD playback (“Filter 0”, “Filter 1”, “Filter 2”), but does not explain how to select from among them. I've experimented a bit on the front panel, but could not discover how to do it. Note that these DSD filters are described as distinct from the 9 linear phase filters and 6 minimum phase filters selectable from the “Filter” button.

Pressing the "Display" button, then the "Status" button causes the display to show "RBalNORM". Turning the volume knob changes it to "RBalSTBY". Don't know what that means and it does not appear in the manual.

I find that the Stillpoints feet have some jiggle along one diagonal. That is, gently lifting the unit from the right front corner results in a little see-saw play. Lifting from the left front corner results in no play at all. This may be caused by imperfect flatness of my rack shelf. I have to experiment with that a bit more.

Well, it’s always fun to explore a new piece of equipment. I don’t want to give a false negative impression. I’m finding the M1SE to be a great performer both sonically and functionally. Listening is a real joy, and I’m very happy with my purchase. A user manual that needs a little work is hardly a deal-breaker.