Thread: Go You Reds!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 02:48 PM

Thumbs up Let's open up the game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitared View Post
Barnes is one of my all time fave reds, Beardsley was seriously underrated. The overall creative playmakers back then would walk into the team today, even Bobby would thrive in front of goal with that level of service
Absolutely, akitared! In my opinion, Herr Jurgen doesn't presently have the kind of players that can effectively open up a defense like Barnesy could...and, let's be honest here, even when someone was in front of John Barnes, he had the skills to get around them.

The point is that we don't have those kind of threats right now, so defenses are simply camping out in the final third and hoping for the Reds' defense to make a mistake -- and without defensive players like Virgil back there, that's highly likely. In other words, the present game plan being adopted by opposing managers is to go for the pseudo-Italian strategy of a super-tight defense and play for either a tie or a low-scoring win. It's a boring style of play, but it's been very effective, thus far, this season. I mean, as of late, we've either tied with or been beaten by teams that can barely stay in the EPL, so something's definitely gone wrong.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections

Last edited by 70sMac; 01-08-2021 at 04:12 PM.