Thread: Marantz SA-10
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
I don't remotely consider myself an authority on Marantz, but I have never seen "levels" of any component in their Reference line. The whole point of that line is "the best we make." An "entry level" Reference product doesn't make sense - that is what the lesser lines are...

Also, like the SA-12, the PM-12 integrated amp is half the price of the PM-10, and single-ended only, unlike the PM-10.

So the xx-12 series sure don't look like Reference-level successors to the xx-10 series. But I grant you that the "SA-12" model # sure makes it sound like it is. Maybe they are planning to use completely new designations for the next generation of their Reference line. (I hope they are not simply eliminating it...)
Previously, Marantz had a more extensive "reference" line with different models at different price points.
Here's a screen shot from the 2010 Marantz Reference brochure:

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables