View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
My view is that I'm the only one who has to like the way my system sounds. Having started at a very modest level, I chased upgrades to just about everything Serge mentioned over the years and have settled upon my current setup. I believe it's just about as good as my ears can perceive.

I bought my speakers and amp because I truly believed they were generational products that would last my lifetime (or whatever time in life I have left). They form the core of the system. I have no desire to change it, especially if it's just to get the newest latest bit of kit.

I also subscribe to the law of diminishing returns. I'm not wealthy enough to journey down that road, so I don't ever think about it.

Aside: I would like an offshore center console about 10 feet longer than the one I currently own.
Excellent approach. I agree with your philosophy. This topic and the thread was not to impose my own personal beliefs, how or why someone should spend their money but to discuss the philosophy and goals (if there are any) of how one achieves long term satisfaction in this hobby.

All too often and over the decades, I have seen both sides of the camp. Folks who invested into gear that brought them pleasure and have held on to their systems while building their music libraries (streaming has completely changed that concept for me personally now) and folks who are proud audiophiles in the sense that "only" best quality recordings should be listened to on their systems and components must change in the quest for best sound.

I am personally far from the audiophile I was a few decades ago. Sure, it was always about the gear and sound from day one. I liked music.. I loved good sound even more it seemed.

How many audiophiles have a hundred or a few hundred albums/CDs that they listen to on a constant basis because of good sound? Listen a dozen times, buy a new cable... Listen a dozen times, buy a new DAC, another dozen times and the inner audiophile wants a new pair of speakers.. It never ends.

Now I love music and I enjoy good sound. As long as my system works, there is no pressing need to upgrade or change anything and I have not in a while now. There is a difference in my own approach, for sure. Not saying it is right or wrong, it is highly a personal choice.

Seems the main objective for many audiophiles is chasing good sound but judging by all the music documentaries I have ever watched, not one portrayed a high end system. Far from it. Musicians are involved with the emotional content of music, not "sound" that the typical audiophile is after.

That is what Paul McGowan failed to convey in his answer as to why the Musicians Ignore High End Audio.... It's not about the sound to the average person and it is definitely not about the sound for the musician. Only an audiophile tends to treat music as sound?