View Single Post
Old 08-08-2023, 11:19 PM

Thank you all for jumping in on this chain. For me, change is fun as long as it is not worse! I do find that many systems lean completely 1 way or completely the other. I had Koetsu, Mac and Sonus Faber all lean warm….I also see a lot of Boulder, Wilson, Ortofon….all leaning detailed or neutral. I don’t see a lot of systems that take some warm stuff and mix it with revealing stuff. I ak not passing judgment as to which is better…if the sound moves you, that is the goal. Just observations. I have been trying mix sonic signatures simply for kicks and pursuit of more persuasive sound of course. The Boulder Amp was a seismic change from my Mac 601s. Not just tighter bass but more energy and life around every sound. And the Ortofon was a seismic change from my Koetsu…far more detail! The Pass amp is more transparent than my Mac2300 but I wouldn’t call the change seismic to my ears.

I do play “vinyl or stream” with friends and all of us get it wrong now and then…the dCS is remarkable. When we do an A/B it is more obvious but when I just play a song without comparison, it can be tricky! The Ortofon has more bass, more depth, more dynamics, the dCS is silky smooth and has incredible sound stage. They are both extremely detailed. I prefer the Ortofon…..im still not done tinkering!
Speakers: Magico M2; Magico S-Subs; Amp: Boulder 1160; Pre-amp: Pass XP-32; Phono Amp: Moon 610; TT: VPI HW40 Anniversary Direct;w/VPI Fatboy 12; Cartridge: Ortofon MC Diamond; SACD: Esoteric; DAC: dCS Barok; Conditioners: Shunyata; Cables Nordost/Transparent