View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Bombadil, If you happen to recall, what attributes did you like more about the kt120 when comparing these three output tubes with each other? While I've owned all three of these output tubes in different amps at different times, reflecting back I realize that I probably did not spend enough burn-in time with kt120s or get to know them as well as I should have before i jumped to the KT150s. Anything more you can share about tone, texture, depth, lows, highs, "midrange" in a similar way you have with other types of tubes. Thanks in advance for your recall.

I did all of my previous comparisons in the Inspire Hot Rod HO, which is a super high output version which Dennis made few of. Produces 17 wpc with KT88, as compared to 12 with the "normal" KT88 amp. All while driving big full-range tower 91db tower speakers.

In that amp the KT88, KT120, and KT150 all sounded more alike than different. I liked all of them. I felt the KT120 had the best overall balance of deep bass strength and definition, good imaging & detail while not harsh, very good vocals, with a great open, natural sound.

I played Norah Jones' "Come Away with Me" in high res, the Holly Cole Trio "Don't Let the Teardrops Rust your Shining Heart" and Mark Knopler's "The Ragpicker's Dream."

In the end rather than identify each sonic characteristic, I went with the one which sounded most open & natural. Where I got lost into the music. I love hearing the deep acoustic bass strings, vocals coming out of a black background, instruments sounding separate and distinct. With that amp, the KT120 was just a touch better, although I thought the KT150 was better on deep bass and the KT88 was a touch better on vocals. No loser here.

By comparison my vintage Sylvania tat bottle 6CA7 were warmer with a smaller soundstage, but sounded more like a nightclub setting. Really like listening to blues with them.

Now I have an Inspire PSE and quads of each tube. And a new-to-me PS Audio DirectStream DAC with all of the latest upgrades (purchased used). Now I need to run many more comparisons. So far I'm really impressed with the new production Genalex KT66 on the PSE. It has a bite that makes music seem so alive. I've been working my way up from the bottom, starting with 6F6, 6V6GT, 5881, 6L6GC and now KT66. I've liked the KT66 best.