View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Got a big surprise from my Inspire KT88 HO amp tonight. I picked up a couple of the 1970s Russian military 6H8C tubes, which are 6SN7 equivalents. I decided to burn one of them in, leaving the other in the box for an eventual comparison of brand new vs burned in. I didn't want to burn up a lot of hours on a set of the good power tubes, so I installed a pair of new production EH 6CA7. I listened to them for a few hours many months ago and found them okay but nothing special.

Popped in a CD and to my surprise, a big warm tubby bass sound came out. By far the most bass emphasis I've ever heard out of the amp.
In the end I pulled all of these back out of my amp. The 6H8C were decent, listenable, but not the best I've heard. Certainly value at $9 each.

I now like the EH 6CA7 better than I did before, but still not all that much. They produce a warm presentation, but vocals aren't as magical, the soundstage is diminished. Overall just not worthy to be in an Inspire amp. Perhaps okay in a ST70 or inexpensive amp.