View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Default Any issues having stacked stone wall behind speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Room correction software will never perform as well as a well treated room. While they can compensate some issue, they cannot fix temporal issue such as reflection. Fixing those will have a massive improvement on the sound.

Here is a write up about room correction. It addresses reflection better than I can.

https://lyngdorf.com/news-what-is-room-correction/

As that article explains, not all room correction software are the same.

And then comes the question of what a "well treated room" means. A well treated room can mean destroying the "look" that the OP wants. It can also mean spending thousands of dollars in a room and still find out that it needs thousands of dollars more (it is a huge room after all).

I am not a proponent of trying to fix everything with room correction. The idea is to do the best you can with proper placement of your speakers and some judicious use of some treatment (e.g., that concrete floor needs a carpet) and then use roon correction to improve the sound. I have yet to see a system that cannot benefit from it.

I should note that some manufacturers that do not offer room correction in their products use the argument that room correction is bad. Perhaps it is bad only because they do not have the know how to implement it in their products.

New performance venues built today incorporate the latest in acoustics and engineering. They have well thought out room dimensions, panels hanging from ceiling that can be adjusted depending on type of music being performed, they use hand-picked building materials including for the seats. And yet, they still use electronics to adjust the final sound. That alone tells me that no matter how well designed and how much treatment you put in, you can still do better with judicious use of technology.

Last edited by nicoff; 03-05-2019 at 06:23 PM.