Thread: Charles System
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
SCA, Thank you for these thoughts. I share your concerns. I have had these concerns too. Problem is there "ain't" nowhere to run and and nowhere to go to use the old cliche. The setup is far from ideal but very few are. But how does it sound? Is the really low bass where there is significant air movement from the massive ports of the Hammer significantly compromised??

As best as I can tell the answer is NO. The backs amps are about 24" from the front baffle of the Thor. I could pull them out another 12" but I don't think it would affect the sound and would create a fall risk. Tripping on these amps would not be something I would want to experience.

The amps are very compact and I believe their surface area potentially obstructing air flow negligible but nevertheless real. You would have to be in the room and look at the actual setup to appreciated this statement.

I have thought that when Mac finally comes out with the 2.1K's, it will be very difficult to place them for the reason you mentioned.

I could place the left and right 1.25's between the Thor and the XVX and then pull out the center 1.25 a foot closer to me. Employ expensive acoustic isolation for the amps. This would solve the problem you mentioned. So it can be addressed and is IMO solvable.

Your thoughts have caused me to rethink buying the 2.1K's (when they finally arrive) and spend the money on acoustic isolation for the amps. The XVX and Thor are truly well serviced by the 1.25's. Certainly there is better amplification and sources than Mac but I will never change from Mac.

I really appreciate this post so much because it has caused me to consider what might be a significant improvement to my system. I think I could spend a few thousand (maybe even much less) on some better foundations for the amps and reposition them. The dealer would do this and it would be very easy. What would you suggest?

THANK YOU!

Best,

Charles
Hello Charles....glad to be of any help I can.

Ivan gave a killer prescription with HRS.

I would suggest something similar...

- follow Ivan's suggest for current amps, move the 1.25Kw amps back a bit

Then...

- find a rack, will be custom, with 6 legs (left, center of Hammer and right) triple wide, single shelf or 2 sections

- put Hammer OVER the 1.25 KW amps which will bring Hammmer driver on a horizontal line roughly at the midpoint of your bass drivers in the XVX

FWIW, i think you have enough vertical space to do this without interfering with your screen...

I think you get the idea...."might" also result in better alignment on wavelaunch of those frequencies in line with the XVX.

If you are experiencing great volume levels only driving the 1.25 KW at 12 to 20 watts, my humble suggestion would be hold on the 2.x KWs until you determine you'll actually use what they provide...

Drop me an IM anytime,..happy to talk about the "Hammer on a bridge" [emoji2]rack idea anytime.

How much does the Hammer weigh?

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 05-31-2020 at 05:56 PM.