Thread: Charles System
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Wow! No lack of bottom end. This must be awesome.
Congratulations.

A tip. Since Florian Schneider just passed away I'v been listening to Kraftwerk a lot lately. What comes to my mind is how careful they were to every sound. The structure and complexity of the lower end in their recordings are fabulous. Playing this loud with that great power from Thor's Hammer will be rewarding in your system.
You probably get temporary cardiac arrhythmia but it will be worth it.
/Carl
Carl, Thank you! Your system was one of my main inspirations to replace my Alexx. Your Fenice made me realize there was more to be had than my Alexx. But what? Then Wilson came out with the XVX. It actually suits my room better than any speaker I have ever had.

I'm going to try "Autobahn" and see what happens. Over the next year I'm going to consider SCA's suggestions concerning some better foundations for my amps. It would be very easy.

Best,

Charles

Carl, I have downloaded Autobahn from HD Tracks. It's coming across to me a beautiful instrumental album with excellent punchy bass. I don't have it turned up because the wife is downstairs and it's Sunday. One of the things I have really tried for recently is better balance with better sub integration and bass articulation/resolution. I have recently learned how to correctly phase my system and it has helped my integration tremendously. I now have a much smoother 40 and 50 Hz tones than previously where before I has a peak at 40 Hz. The XVX woofers although not massive have significant weight when called on. It's hard to challenge a Hammer with anything short of heavy sub 25 Hz bass or movie sound tracks like Aquaman. On this album the Hammer is kicking in a "massive" .12-1.2 watts and the XVX about 1.2 watts, but it's a very beautiful music. I can see I will be buying more of this music.

Best,

Charles

Just turned it up significantly. Now I'm at 12 watts XVX and about 1.2 watts Hammer. Beautiful music. Beautiful complex bass. Ill probably keep the volume here, it's about on 60%. Now I'm getting some impressive bass that puts the Hammer at 12 watts which is a lot for it because of its sensitivity. The music is beautiful. Not what I expected at all. Yes the Hammer is at 6-12 watts and the bass wonderful. But the whole range is wonderful top to bottom. Beautiful music. This is why you pay the big bucks, to hear sound like this. This is impressive sound top to bottom with a monster sound field. I can't stand more than 12 watts from XVX. The midrange of the XVX is a thing to behold and it really shines on music like this. In previous systems I could never get this type of mid clarity and resolution, except the Mac XRT 30 or Genesis II panels but both would literally take your ear off at these sound levels and be unbearable. Alexx mid and treble sound slightly dull and closed/recesssed compared to XVX. Treble on XVX more resolved, no question without harshness or grit.

At volume 60% the album is quite impressive. The engine moving across from right to left is a stunner. No harshness or boom/exaggeration but extreme clarity and resolution with good weight top to bottom. This is a balanced system, exactly what I'm looking for. Sound field is huge.

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 05-31-2020 at 01:26 PM.