View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 AM

Default Rip DVDs to hard drive & manage in iTunes

After days of research I decided to try putting some of my DVDs on my computer (Mac). I have over 100 DVDs and I noticed I have not watched them in years. Mainly due to being lazy. I also have ADD so by the time I go through my boxes of DVDs, I no longer have interest in sitting in front of the tube for 2+hours. So ease of use and fast loading is important to me.

I also want to be able to view my library on my MacBook Air and other computers (PC too) in the house and iPhone/iPod Touch for "on the go". This means I have to use iTunes to manage my movies. FrontRow is cool too.

I went with Handbrake (Free), nothing else. Finding the correct settings were my biggest concern. This took a lot of time searching and reading, days. Here is the break down for those interested.

First time using Handbrake last night. I am very happy with the results. This thread is to make it easy for first timers like me to set-up Handbrake.

Mac GUI settings -

Apple ~ Universal ~

Format: MP4 File
Codec: AVC/H.264 Video/AAC + AC3 Audio
Insert iPod Atom: Unchecked
Video - Encoder: x264
Constant Quality: 62%

Picture Settings -
Anamorphic: Loose
Crop: Automatic
VFR: Enabled
Denoise: Strong

Audio + Subtitles -
Track 1 : AAC - DPL2
Track 2 : English AC3 5.1
Bitrate: 160kbps (only affects AAC)
Sample Rate: 48khz
Dynamic Range Compression: 0
Subtitles: Unchecked
Chapters: Enabled

2ch/5.1ch Audio and video works well with my 50" Sony LCD TV via new Mac Mini. Playback is GREAT on my MacBook, MacBook Air 1.6ghz (1st gen). No skips or lag. Audio matches too. As you can see, iPhone looks GREAT too. Zoom mode is a bit cut off on the sides.

This is a picture of the movie on iPhone "widescreen" mode.

This is a picture of the movie on iPhone "zoom" mode.

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2