Thread: 8802a w/SACD
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 05:20 AM

Hi there,

I know this is a three year old thread but am curious if the DAC in the Marantz AV8802 decodes and supports native DSD format over HDMI, or if you convert the DSD to PCM first in the Oppo and output it over HDMI when playing SACD. Cause some older AV preamp processors' DACs like those of my Classe SSP 800 does not decode or support DSD, the DAC in the Classe only supports high rez PCM & high rez LPCM. Cause Classe claimed and believed that SACD (DSD) would be best outputted using the players' analog audio out in order to get the best sound. I know your Oppo 203 probably wouldn't be an ideal player to play SACD or CD or DVD-Audio discs using the analog audio out since this player isn't optimized for that. The Oppo 205 would be a better choice for playing music using the analog audio out, or even better some high end dedicated stereo audio only CD/SACD players like those from Esoteric, DCS, Meridian, Cary Audio, EMM Labs, Ayre, etc. Or if you want a true high end universal disc player that will sound superb for playing music (CD, SACD, DVD-Audio) using its analog audio out will be the Ayre DX-5 universal disc player/USB DAC but was/is very expensive. Even today a used Ayre DX-5 would still sell for around $3500 in used after markets. Its original retail price was $10k or $12k for the revised DSD version which was released after the original DX-5. This machine plays CD/HDCD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD Video & bluray discs. While the video section of the Ayre DX-5 might be somewhat outdated a little but it is by far the best sounding universal disc player by wide margins when using the analog audio out (stereo XLR balanced) of the player for CD, SACD & DVD-Audio playbacks as well as when used as USB DAC. Actually the Ayre DX-5 sounded better when used as USB DAC for playing stereo music than using discs.
This player is meant to be set up in a hybrid high end two channel rig using a high end analog preamp/amp combo or a high end analog stereo integrated amp and a high end AV separates (high end AV pre pro / amp combo) for playing bluray movies.

In my dedicated family room / HT room setup I use my Oppo 105 for bluray and DVD-Audio (high resolution audio disc) playbacks using HDMI out to my Classe SSP 800 AV preamp processor and the sound is superb, but I don't play CD or SACD in this setup. I have a separate dedicated two channel setup for stereo CD & SACD playbacks using the Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player into the Classe Omega Reference Mk iii linestage stereo analog preamp and the Classe Omega Reference monoblock amps.

However, I've heard that the Marantz AV8802 processor is great for movies especially for the money but not sure how it performs for stereo music or when used as a stereo preamp.
Doug Lax, what power amp(s) are you using right now? I noticed you have the B&W 802 D3 for your main front speakers. In my dedicated two channel setup I have the 800 D3 driven by the Classe Omega Reference monoblock amps. The latest 800 series D3 are clear step up sonically from the D2 series IMO.

Last edited by Dilettante; 08-10-2020 at 02:41 PM.