View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
I currently have a VPI Typhoon HW-27 RCM and looking to go Ultrasonic. Looking for some recommendations.
I think your first consideration should be your expectations. Are you seeking convenience, or are you seeking improved cleaning? Rather than tell you what you should do, I'll just share my experience.

My history with record cleaning dates back to the original Keith Monks machine, which I discovered in the '70s. It was too pricey for me at the time, but a local high-end dealer had a demo and sold record cleaning coupons, so customers could clean their own LPs for a price. I relied on the KMAL machine until Nitty Gritty introduced its vacuum device, and I bought one of the early models. (As I recall, that was before VPI entered the record cleaning market.) I used the NG for decades, futzing with various cleaning solutions and and always finding the process annoying.

A few years ago I bought the Klaudio ultrasonic machine and my life changed forever. Its one-button LP cleaning process makes record cleaning so easy and simple that I cleaned more records in the first few months of owning it than I would do in years with the NG. I've kept the NG in the event I acquire some used LP that needs aggressive cleaning, but it's been years and that hasn't happened yet.

Some people have elevated LP cleaning to something of a "black art" and I have to wonder: What contamination is on their LPs that such extraordinary measures need to be taken? In my experience, one pass through the Klaudio removes whatever dust and contaminants are present. In fact, I'm convinced that many people have never heard a truly clean LP, and that ultrasonic is more effective than other means.

One reason the Klaudio works is that - like the AD and Degritter - it also dries the LP. DIY approaches that rely on air drying are much less effective - it's amazing how quickly dust will accumulate on an LP in even a fairly clean room.

The Klaudio is presently out of production, but some inventory remains. You might want to check with Ivan (which is where I bought mine) - Klaudio's website shows refurbished models available at a discount. If you seek convenience, something like the Klaudio, AD or Degritter are the way to go.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.