View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Your post is perfect to describe what are the differences that you notice after an upgrade. I thought it would take a while to upgrade my ultra speaker cables, but I didn't resist the temptation and I upgraded my cables to reference xl. And...what a difference!!! Even in the first moments, I noticed an improvement in resolution and soundstage. I thought it wouldn't happen that way, but I was wrong. These cables are so expensive but they worth the money you invest. I'm very happy with them and with my other new acquisitions: shunyata anaconda and an Acuphase e-560. This is my dream team and I'm really happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwardo View Post
Got my Reference cables this morning, hooked 'em up, and had a quick listen before heading out to the salt mines.

I know that it will take a while for the cable to settle in and break in, but out of the gate, I notice:
  • More tuneful, detailed, & visceral bass that integrates better with the REL
  • Vocals now float clearly in front of the speaker in (a more or less) 3D image that has an almost physical presence
  • Sound stage moved from behind/at the speaker's front plane to out in front of the speakers
  • Vocals now sound "righter" than before
  • More detail (decay, reverb, breath in takes) than ever before
  • Harsh treble is mitigated a lot
  • Presentation of the music is more "organic"

More as I get them broken in...but they already sound like a big improvement over Ultra. Looking forward to them sounding better and better.

So, if the Reference are this big of a jump, I wonder what's the jump with the other (much more expensive) Reference flavors.

Oh, does this madness ever stop?