View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Those Macs would be awesome to hear. But your system is already over the top. I'm not sure you need them. But if you do acquire them - WOW!!! I have Pass 260.8s and thinking of replacing them with the 600.8s. The 260s work very well, but me likes more power ... Besides the 260s only gives me Class A to 34wpc while the 600s will give Class A to 100wpc.

I agree on PCs and surge protection. It's a must have IMO. I have a whole house surge protection installed at the panel. If I recall correctly you do too. With as much lightning as we get here in FL that was a no brainer for us. It also protects against brown outs.

The new Shunyata's power cords (Omega, etc.) are on my short list as well - including their Everest PC (for my electronics, not amps) which will replace my Shunyata Alpha. I presently have an entire loom of Shunyata. I really enjoy their products.
My opinion is that class A is the superior of all amplification. 100 watts is the same amount a Relentless supplies. I spoke to Mac about this to see if the MC2KW provided any class A. It does not. Mac's feeling is that the Thermal TraK which is a self biasing transistor is the equivalent of class A, which I do not believe.

I you ask Mac they will tell you there is no difference between Thermal Trak and the older transistor which required an external circuit to remove crossover distortion. But if you ask Mac there's no difference in sound between any of their gear. That's always been Mac's position for as long as I can remember.

I think the new transistor sounds sweeter. However, since the larger amp offers no class A, its advantage is the overbuilt power supply and more power less stress.

With your arrangement you get more class A, the equivalent of a Relntless if you went with the larger amp, a definite reason to move up.

I do think a MC2.1KW will sound significantly better than a 1.25 on my XVX.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 01-19-2021 at 02:39 PM.