View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 04:45 AM

Over the last few months i have been trying different pre amps , as this is the one component i have neglected as such.

I started with the Manley Labs "Shrimp" tube pre to which i was happy with , but on latter re positioning my gear i had no choice to use XLR,s because of the long runs to the amps. The Shrimp was only RCA, so using it wasn't an option.

This in hindsight has turned out to be a godsend...
I had several old school Krell pre,s of my own to try. KSL-2 / KRC-3/ KRC. I also got to try a friends highly regarded Krell KRC-HR.

The Krell,s were "OK" but seemed to lack something ...
I got it in my head i wanted a Krell KCT, i imported one from the UK.... this turned out to be one of the biggest gambles and mistakes i have made HiFi wise. The Krell KCT was a big , big disappointment.

So i went looking at the Esoteric option.
The Esoteric C03x is a complete revelation!! I am honestly awestruck by its performance.

Two words sum up the C03x.."Control" and " Detail".

Detail..... i cant believe the detail that the C03x brings out . The separation and definition of instruments is incredible. Tracks i have played many many times i was now hearing things i have never heard before!,i had no idea i was missing this much with my previous preamps.

Control.... The control , particularly in the bottom end is staggering...fast/defined/detailed. Fast cluttered music is so much easier to listen to because of this . The separation and control of everything just makes it so much easier to take in. Bass is so much more defined and controlled...i am absolutely awestruck by this.

I was worried that the C03x may be to "bright" for my system, particularly after tube pre,s..... well the C03x is so very very smooth and analogue sounding , but with incredible detail....you would never pick it as an SS pre......it actually sound more "Tube Like " than some tube pre,s i have sampled.

The Esoteric C03x has been probably the best upgrade i have added to my system.......definatley listen to one if your ever contemplating a change...its a superb product...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0246w.jpg (92.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0249w.jpg (80.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0250w.jpg (76.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0255w.jpg (80.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0261w.jpg (89.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0267w.jpg (74.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0269w.jpg (93.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0270w.jpg (88.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0271w.jpg (90.5 KB, 46 views)