View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Just as they are coming out with their speaker line, too. Makes very little sense to me. People will never get a chance to hear them, and they have a lot to prove in this area.
Direct-sell speaker makers like SVS, Tekton, Ascend, etc - they can be extremely successful, but basically their core competency has to be greasing the internet hype machine. Get a few well-controlled rave reviews published, groom rabid fanboys, then get the mob to sell + defend your products for you! PS Audio is way up there in terms of ability to hype their stuff, so I think they're confident in their ability to take that to the next level. But certainly, you're not going to be competing in the Magico/Wilson/Von Schweikert/Vandersteen/YG/etc realm of speakers if you go that route - there's a relatively narrow price window for the internet direct stuff, at it's on the cheaper side of 5-figures.

But personally, I say don't skimp on speakers when budgeting. The "really real" top companies are now engineering some absolutely amazing stuff into their mid-tier to upper-tier lines, and your ears deserve to experience that before you fall for internet hype. I wouldn't trade my Tannoy Canterbury GR for any internet speaker on earth, now or ever.

Last edited by mulveling; 08-15-2019 at 11:04 PM.