View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 08:36 AM

Here’s the deal with processors. The latest ones will decode all the latest object-oriented audio formats like Dolby Atmos and DRS:X. In addition the HDMI pass-throughs of newer processors will be able to handle 4k and 8k and DolbyVision.

In order to take advantage of these technologies you need multiple height channels for audio and displays that can handle Dolby Vision and the higher resolution video formats.

So if you are running 5.1, no side or height channels, and running a display that is not compatible with 4k or 8k or DolbyVison you don’t need the latest and greatest surround processor.

Things like the room correction system then become more important.

For example in my system I’m still using an MX-151. It is 1080P so my only 4K video source, an Oppo 205, goes directly to one input of my 4k JVC projector and the MX-151 switches all the 1080p video sources and drives the other input to the projector. The MX-151 won’t decode Dolby True HD and DTS-MA but the Oppo will, so I use the analog outs of the Oppo into the MX-151 to decode those formats.

I’m all for buying pre-pros 1 or 2 generations back.

When I bought my MX-151 it was one generation back and I used the Oppo to get me into the current generation.

Now I’m two generations back and there is no way to get Atmos/DolbyVision to work without replacing my projector, surround processor, Blue-Ray player, and installing height speakers and amplification to drive them, all of which I’m not going to do.

You have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 03-27-2023 at 08:45 AM.