View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrck887 View Post
Hello all!
Seeking some advice. Recently purchased a Line Magnetic LM-845ia just to see what the fascination with SET amps is all about. My current MC601, C500T, Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolutions with REL G-2's in my small dediticated, treated room is outstanding, one of the most focused, 3D, holographic and immersive systems I've encountered. The one area I would like to improve is on tonal density.....
The LM-845ia was just ok....and as expected had a difficult time driving the SF's. Intersting enough, another feature of SET amps is a wide open holographic soundstage and in that regard it did not come close to matching what I already have with my Mc's. Not surprising as expecting a $4k integrated to compete with nealy $25k worth of Mc gear simply isn't realistic. What the LM-845 did do nicely was impart a sense of richness and tonal density through the mids that was very nice...voices and especialy sax were outstanding. Something I have chased via C500T tube rolling for a couple of years, and I have rolled every 12AX7 and 5751 known to man...none brought out that sort of richness. So to my question, would moving from 601's to a pair of Mc275's add that touch of tonal ricness without losing that huge 3D sound stage that I crave? Appreciate any feed back from those who have already tried this.
Thanks
Your experience with the C500 is the reason I sold it. I tried every tube I could find, too.

I had the magic with my C2200 pre-amp with the stock tubes, though. It's been too long to compare detail between those pre-amps. I did keep the C2200, though, because of my experience with it.
Maybe consider keeping the 601's and getting a different Mc pre-amp?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables