View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Here's a blurb from AV Guide by Neil Gader on the stand mount TADs...

After bolting them down to their stands and taking a few moments to position, it took all of about three minutes or so of listening to realize that the TAD maybe the greatest stand-mounted speaker I’ve ever encountered if not one of the best speakers period. It combines the warmth, weight, majesty, and soundstage of a floorstander with the image focus and precision of a small compact. There's a harmonic complexity and a naturalistic bloom and a musical rightness that simply hits you between the eyes. There’s a calm to this speaker and though it can be physically forceful–virtually pinning you to your seat with impact– it never sounds “hi-fi” or forced, etched or edgy.

and...

I’m still in the “getting to know you” phase of this evaluation and am just getting a grip on its overall character (it does have one BTW) and sonic limits but thus far my jaw remains on the floor.

Lastly,

Fellas, the TAD is simply the finest stand-mounted speaker I've ever encountered. xcept for the last half octave of deep bass (and let me tell you I'm getting flat response to at least 40 cycles and strong perceivable deep bass into the low 30 Hz region in my room) the CR presents a tonally and dynamically unimpeded soundscape with images that are fully backed and grounded. Music retains a holistic flow rather than sounding like refashioned or sculpted individual elements–this kind of hyper-imaging often encouraged by tweeters with too much lift gets tiresome in my view. there's none of that here. The coincident mid/tweeter of the CR is seamless. the character and timbre of instruments doesn't shift in the x-over exchange between transducers. It's all one.

That sums it up really well.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.