View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
Reading some of the comments I am thinking what I remember about all the different Wilson’s I listened to is they were really good at imaging, detail, and slam. To me that says the have a lot of high end detail... a dangerous thing if not carefully matched with electronics. Women usually have better hearing and will pick up on harshness (not necessarily the speakers fault) than men. I gravitated to more integrated whole, rhythm and pace instead of detail at all costs. This is where taste comes in... what do you value? Wilson speakers are exceptional like Magico. But I have gone running from a room with Magico and so much detail (and high frequency noice) my ears were bleeding. I like being ever so slightly on the side warm and musical. Finding the right balance is the attraction and source of frustration of this pursuit.
Wilson speakers are not Magico... Magico uses lots of stiff materials in their contruction. Metal cabinets, stiff, carbon reinforced cones, as well as Beryllium tweeters, etc... Magico speakers tend to sound, well, like METAL. Very accurate, fast, detailed and very sterile in the context of many, many rooms and systems. Good luck with that type of sound long term. It takes quite a bit of skill to put together a system that would be forgiving enough to listen to a broad range of music with Magico speakers.

Wilson uses non-resonant cabinets that push the resonance points lower and lower, near 2 hertz I heard lately? So the drivers are free to strut their stuff without coloration. What are the drivers? Paper Pulp woofers, Doped Paper Pulp mids, Doped Silk Fabric tweeters... Does any of that sound like metal?

Again, we all have our preferences and we hear different not only due to age but for physiological reasons.

It would be wise to sit and spend some time with Wilson speakers under conditions that allow for a fair and honest audition if one is interested in pursuing a magnificent sound that can be just about everything one asks for.

Or not...

Go and audition a dozen of other high end speakers and perhaps one of them will connect emotionally. Wilsons as well as some other speakers, in the context of proper synergy, more than speak to me and I can easily build a system around each and enjoy. Precisely what I did with the current system that is not Wilson based.