View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 10:36 PM

Default Buying used records online

Closest thread I could find to this was 3 years old so I figured I'd open up a new one. I try my best not to buy used records online, new are another story since I'll buy direct from the label. I can't say I've really had any poor experiences until recently. I bought a $70 record in excellent condition from EBay, they shipped the record in the original inner sleeve inside the jacket and it was all in a loose LP mailer. Seam splits on all 3 inner sleeve sides and a seam split on the jacket/outer sleeve. This was after reading they have 20+ years experience shipping records. They were in Canada so I didn't want to deal w/shipping it back, just ate the loss since the vinyl itself is in nice condition. I bought a bunch of LPs and 45s from a seller in England last month, almost all were described as "stored since release"...far from it. One of the albums was the Buzzcocks 2nd record, I believe it was stored from release if it was stored in a thrift store and thumbed through for the last 41 years.

That said, every other Discogs experience has been beyond expectations. I order a VG+ record and get a record that seems NM. I generally opt for high feedback sellers with detailed descriptions. Even on EBay, other than above, I've been pleased and had all records shipped properly. Part of the fun of record shopping is the hunt, but sometimes after years and years, or looking for NOS, online is the only way to go.

How often do you guys purchase used vinyl online and what's your overall experience?