View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 01:50 PM

Default New to Marantz - Looking for an AVP?

Dilettante,

it is an impossible question and I do not know the answer since I have never heard the SSP-800. Just a few points:

1. The Classe should sound better than the AV8805. Everything I have read about this piece is that it sounds as good as the best 2 channels pre.

2. Even if you go for a very high end pro I still dont think you can get the audio quality you get from the classe - even with Trinnov and Datasat which would be silly since the main reason to get them are the 15+ channels. One exception is the Mac MX170 which should sound very good.

3. If you only have the oppo as a source then just send the video directly to the tv/projector. If you have other sources then you really need a new av pro.

4. I really hope classe is working on a new delta av pro. Under the SU umbrella they can do so and they now have access to the latest chips - which no exotic av pro brand has. Think if an av8805 on steroids. Have no info whatsoever on this.

If you are sattisfied with the audio just improve the video with going direct to the display. If you need simplicity and the latest features then the av8805 is perfect but there will be some loss on quality. And if you do change might be better to wait for hdmi2.1 and 8k.

Or I could be wrong. Technology is changing rapidly and the newer chips and DACs in the av8805 could really help it sound as good or better than the ssp800 - difficult but possible.

Last edited by silversurfer6; 08-28-2020 at 01:54 PM.