View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
I was not at Robert's but have installed numerous XVX with and without Subsonics.

The bass driver combination in the XVX is well proven. It first appeared in the smaller ALEXX (+/- 3dB at 20Hz relative to 1kHz) and the WAMM (+/-0dB at 23 Hz relative to 1kHz). All are RAR and measured in the Wilson Music Room. Cabinet volume is different in all three. So is the construction/bracing on each, which is dictated by laser vibrometer analysis.

The ActiveXO Controller was set at 32Hz at 18dB/oct. The intent of the subs is to provide the sub bass cushion of air that adds dimension and body, particularly on live recordings, as well as linear extension down from 20HZ to 10Hz. It is not necessary to have Subsonics but what they add is quite compelling. I haven't had anyone suggest that Subsonics be removed once dialed in. I also have never had someone who did not purchase subs say he felt he was missing something.

The most recent pair I set up was in a room that is sort of two rooms. There's a four inch step down into the area behind the speakers. It's 16ft from the rear wall to the step down and another 16' to the front wall. Width of the room is I believe 15'6" in the back section and 18' in front. The front portion of the room opens onto the kitchen and the back portion onto a hallway. The room has 10' ceilings in the listening area, slightly taller in the front. Speakers were positioned on the back of a 4" step from listening area to front of room. The owner is quite happy with the bass he is getting and he feels quite a demonstrable improvement from his previous ALEXX.. He has never suggested that he felt he wanted/needed Subsonics, though with the dimensionality and solidity of stage that he already has, I can only imagine what that next step would bring.

Hope this helps.
The price someone is willing to pay for the illusion of a recreated musical moment in their listening room is obviously highly personal and unquantifiable but like every other hobby out there, if it tugs hard, the wallet will open.

I have no doubt the XVX is more than capable of recreating every last ounce of dynamic contrast, the visceral impact and to solidify and anchor images that would be fully fleshed out and grounded properly within the boundaries of the listening space, exhibiting proper separation, width, depth and ambiance that was captured in by the recording.

Obviously the listening space has to allow speakers of this caliber to breathe... They are akin to a Formula 1 car and you don't want to drive a car like that on unpaved roads to your mountain cabin.

If all the stars are in alignment and speakers of this calibers are given a chance to strut their stuff, well, moments like that are unforgettable. Not that I would personally ever spend that kind of coin on a pair of speakers but I completely understand the desire to do so, even if 99.9999% of the population would never get it. It's good to be KING.