View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 02:12 PM

No but I currently have two pairs of Wyred4sound SX-1000 Mono Blocks and I also had (but sold a pair of the SX-500 Mono Blocks) and I have compared with many power amps other than McIntosh so I can offer my opinion.

I've had a bit of an obsession with power amps and have owned more than 20 high end power amps in the last three years.

In my opinion where the class D amps excel is in the bass response. The SX-1000 provides a very tight and solid low bass with excellent control over the woofers. I feel my Classe Audio CA-400 and CA301 did just as good a job but I quickly replaced them feeling happy I no longer had to lift those 100 plus pound amps.

In addition the SX-1000's fit nicely on a small shelf under a couple of small tables on each side of my equipment rack thus freeing up more space for my other larger equipment on the rack.

I like them on bass and feel they can probably compete with almost any amp on bass. However full range I felt they fell short. Every conventional design I've compared them with had a much sweeter midrange & high end as well as better imaging. Better in almost every way.

Some amps I made the comparison with are:

Audio Research Reference 110 ( bass response aside not even a close call)
Pass Labs XA-30.8 (also not even a close call)
Classe Audio CA400 (Way better full range again not even close)
Classe Audio CA301 (Way better full range " " ")
Audio Research D400MKII (Better unless over driven)

I'm not familiar with the McIntosh MC452 but I'd be willing to bet it's a far better amp than anything Wyred4sound makes. Hang on to it.