View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
I would be interested to know the maker of the speaker that contains the same combination of design features as PMC? PMC speakers are expensive so there might be an alternative at a lower price that I am not aware of.
That is not something I can tell you off the top of my head without doing research. Especially that you are asking me to come up with the same speaker for less money. Some of the ones like Meadowlark have went out of business years ago.

Transmission line speakers were never as popular as other designs. For the most part, passive radiators are nearly as effective and a much more time and cost efficient way to do things for manufacturers.

PMC does it their way and charge the customer appropriately for time and materials. You pay for that.

Now, think about why a "transmission line speaker" may not be very popular anymore?

Allow me to explain... The bass waves will travel through the transmission lines, get delayed by a great deal of time.

Now, these days, we know how important "timing" is in speakers with all the drivers time and phase aligned down to the last picosecond... Especially adjustable speakers like Wilson. It is important for the overall coherence of sound.

Does PMC get around it? I'm sure they have it figured out but without having heard them, I can't comment.

If you have a technical explanation how the transmission line delay of lower octaves is accomplished, I would be curious to hear about their solution.

Many of the DIY projects have the transmission line designs to be used with exotic and high efficiency drivers that many manufacturers do not necessarily want to deal with as they are "specialty speakers".

So you are not going to see many these days.

The important thing is that if they sound good to your ears and you are enjoying music, that's all that matters. I have no reason to doubt PMC is a great speaker but have zero experience with them.