View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
Giovanni.....I'll help you as best as I can here. First, I wouldn't worry as much about the resistors; I just decided to replace them while I was at it.

I used polypropylene film/foil caps, most were ordered from Parts Express, the ones I couldn't find there in the grade I wanted I ordered from Sonic Craft.

The caps I paired were as follows:

To achieve the 20uf caps (stand-up caps) I connected (2) 10uf, 800V Metalyzed polypropylene caps together in parallel.

To achieve the 6uf, 100V caps (across the terminal strips), I connected (2) 3uf, 200 VDC caps together in parallel.

To achieve the 16.5uf (stand-up cap), I connected (1) 15uf, 800V Metalyzed polypropylene foil cap together with (1) 1.5uf, 800V Metalyzed polypropylene cap in parallel.

All of the other values I was able to obtain as standard parts from either Parts Express or Sonic Craft.

The ones I couldn't find from parts express (at that time) were the 3uf, 200VDC and the 8uf, 200VDC caps, which I ordered from Sonic Craft.

You may not need to use more than one supplier, depending on what grade (quality) caps you choose. One supplier may possibly have everything you need.

Good luck!
Ciao Pete,

hello everybody, how is it going over there? You might well know what is going on in Italy, we are all stuck, in my personal case our small island is still (...) safe but it so much feels like a golden jail, the forecast is that by March 25th we should (...) reach the peak of infections then we'll see how it goes, at this moment in time I can report that number of recovered patients is higher and higher so let's stay in (ALL OF US YOU INCLUDED) and avoid being in touch with other people, let's preserve our beloved weak ones and, guys, let me tell you, I am that kind of person who can't stand authority at all, never, always had issues at school, during my service in the navy etc but this time I am doing no much effort to respect the rules because things are not gonna be the same so the earliest we solve the issue the soonest we'll start the new cycle.

Pete, I pulled down the list of capacitors and, as you stated above, I found out that besides the 2mF and 3mF all the others gotta be parallel to achieve the desired values.

I found a few retailers here in the EU and emailed two of them along with the list, a pic of the crossover and one of the JBL schematics and they both reported some of the caps to be electrolytic, in this case they speak about the "smaller" which I suppose being the 2mF, 6mF and 36mF (I thought the 36mF would be big, am I wrong somewhere?).

Here one of the email replies:

"The 100V capacitors are bi-polar electrolytes. These are usually chosen when the performance of the capacitor is not that critical or if (very) large capacitance values are required (and the costs weigh out the performance). I would suggest to replace only the electrolytes with electrolytes."

And here the other one:

"So there is a mix of electrolytic bipolar and film caps. The smaller are electrolytic which you should swap for the same type so have a look at these

Don`t worry about using the 50V version that is plenty for this application. You may need to use 2 in parallel to get the right capacitance.

eg. 36uF - use 33uF and 3.3uF in parallel, the 6uF is more difficult, just use a 5.6uF you really won`t notice the difference.

Think about using the Clarity Cap 250V ESAs

again you might need to put 2 in parallel to get the value you need."

I am a little confused now,

Pete I won't want to pollute your thread so if there is a way to connect to you through PM please let me know, I am not allowed here probably because of my early posting history so again accept my apologies for adding more to your beautiful tale.

Thank you and be all safe

Giovanni
Capri - I T A L Y