View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 04:40 PM

I recently updated my old plasma TV to a 8K Samsung TV and it turned out that the
only way to connect it to a receiver or HT processor is through the HDMI eARC
connection. I'm not entirely up-to-date on why the industry has taken this route,
but that's off topic. Granted I can use the TV setup box and the bluray players,
but they will be maxed out at 4K at best and they are EOL products.

After enjoying the beasty Yamaha RXV1 for almost 20 years, I decided to look around
and update the HT processor. My original thoughts were to buy the Mcintosh MX-123
with the 8K option, but that was out of my budget. There were quite a few
options (Denon, Anthem, Yamaha, Onkyo), but decided on the Marantz AV8805A.
There is a underlying assumption that the video board may be the same as in the
MX123, so at least the video quality should be as good. Even if the sound is not quite
up to par, I'm confident it'll be a huge improvement over the old Yamaha that it
replaced. Just the fact that it is more of a preamp and not a receiver will bring
noise down considerably. With much less power requirements I can also connect it
to my PS power plant so that's another advantage.

Regarding the other options, I was leaning towards the Denon AVR-X6700H, but just the
volume and input selectors were a turn off. They were too plastic to my taste
and the feedback that they had was also disappointing. Then they are receivers so
I immediately steered away. The Yamaha's 8K are just coming out, and their looks also
went sideways -- not sure what happened there.

Overall the Marantz looks good, it has all the features that I need and to spare (channels, etc).
and so far the connectivity with the TV is smooth. Turning the TV on turns on everything
and the TV remote controls the HT processor without issues. Next is to include the C2200
in the mix with the passthru option. My room is rather small so for now I'm going to go
for a 5.2.2 setup and see how it goes.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.

Last edited by piolaxo; 01-04-2022 at 05:54 PM.