View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 AM

I certainly cannot disagree with you. It would be unrealistic to expect an amp in the $2k - $3k range to compete against those of the likes of Levinson, D'Agistino, etc. From my understanding Wyred amps are great value amps. I have never heard one of their amps. I do, however, feel that all W4S equipment is top quality built and great value.

As for per-amps I do believe that the STP-SE compares against those that are many times it's price. EJ's amazing designed volume control and extremely unique hybrid passive/active pre-amp is fantastic. I have read articles directly comparing it against the likes of Esoteric and according to the reviewer besting it in most comparisons.

I also know that their DACs compare well above the price level. No I would not put them against the Lampi or the Berkleys, for example, but certainly against many that are multiple times their price. And again many of their specialty items such as their brand new Recovery are considered the best of the class.

Since getting back into this amazing hobby I have relearned much and learned the new waves of this industry. I have searched out what I consider Giant Killer type pieces since I cannot afford to buy the entire system at the top end all at one time. A great example is the Goldmund Job amplifier. This has been directly compared against amplifiers 10x it's price. Actually it comes off the assembly line of an amp that is virtually identical that is 10x it's price. Job is sold only directly from the Goldmund factory in Switzerland, with no distribution network, no dealers, no promotion or advertising, basic industrial cases versus the fancy Goldmund branded amplifiers. But almost identical parts, same technicians, same assembly processes, etc. Tremendous sounding amplifiers at very reasonable prices.

Obviously if I were getting Blade 2's (and could afford Blade 2's) I would be looking at more elaborate amps, but Job mono's would certainly be in the mix for consideration.

However the Wyred pre-amp may very well still be in my system. I did in fact replace a McIntosh and the W4S sounds quite a bit better.

Anyway, I certainly understand your looking at other amps with those amazing speakers. I am also anxious to see the Statement amplifiers, but I do not believe that a $23k -$25k speaker will be given it's due with a $3500 amp. Maybe 2 in mono???

Last edited by Randy Myers; 03-30-2016 at 08:29 AM.