View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 08:36 PM

@Pyro,

I had selected the NR because at the time I was not very informed about the differences between the regular Alpha NR V2 and XC series. I am very elated by the performance of the Alpha NR V2 connected to the PS Audio P20. In combination with my custom built Neotech silver power cables with Neotech Hi-Fi plugs which were connected to my McIntosh MC2301 tube amps (those are the only things connected to the P20), I was in hi-fi heaven. The sound was just mind boggling.

Being cooped up at the house, and after reading peer reviews of the Sigma NR2s, I have since ordered a half dozen Sigma NR V2s and one Sigma XC and they are now installed throughout. The Sigma XC V2 is now on the P20. It also sounds glorious and is just as organic sounding as the Alpha NR2 but with a touch more spaciousness. If your budget is Alpha NR2, then you would be fine. More than fine…the combination of Alpha NR2 with P20 powering my McIntosh MC2301 amps was more mind blowing to me than swapping out to the Sigma NR2 or XC V2 into the P20. It was more of a slight incremental increase in resolution, but different in a way. For now, the XC V2 will remain in the P20 until further analysis.

I must be honest, I am really impressed by the sound qualities of the Alpha NR2s and it has taken a while for me to get things, sound wise, to the level of sound quality I had before, and then start to surpass it, somewhat….ah yes, that somewhat.

You will have to read about my further experiences with the Sigma NR 2s in the Shunyata Sigma review post later. But, to me, it is like making spaghetti; the ingredients must be just right to get that perfect flavor. Been making spaghetti since I was a teenager and been listening to music also since I was a teenager. This started with me listening to reel to reel session tapes of Santana that my step dad played for me since he was a Congo/Bongo player for Santana in the mid to late 60s. My ears have a certain way of hearing music which must support my spaghetti ingredient analogy. Years and years of listening, musical and equipment influence, trumpet playing, and live music have set the bar for me to personally respect and measure music qualities via my ears. That being said, with power cables, you have to ask what you are trying to get at? A noise floor that is lower than what you can already hear? A change in sound due to differences in metallurgy of various power cables? Lowering interference from external factors such as EMI or RFI. Is your equipment leaking noise back into the AC which some components do and is measurable, but sometimes not detectable in listening situations. All this to say, that yes, power cables make a difference, but, what is the difference you are trying to make.

I recommend going slowly and not doing it all at the same time so that you get a feel of the changes. Sometimes less is more, and sometimes more is less, and sometimes just right is just right…getting the spaghetti sauce just right

The reason I will post later about the Sigmas NR2s is that I am near the end of running them for a while and trying out various permutations of connections with my equipment. It’s been quite the ride and surprising results as well.

Sorry for a run on response….been recovering from back surgery as well and feel chatty when I post, LOL. Good luck