View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Well, I'm going to respectfully offer a counterpoint to Glenn, and say that having owned Dynaudios (Contour S3.4s) for over a decade, I'll go on record stating that, IMHO, Dynaudio is one of the finest loudspeaker manufacturers in the world. Their drivers are all designed and manufactured in-house, and many other loudspeaker manufacturers have OEM sourced drivers from Dynaudio, not least of which were Wilson, EgglestonWorks, Vienna Acoustics, Totem and many others.

Dynaudios are consistently very neutral, but that does not mean they are cool or analytical; they are...accurate. They are also very easy to listen to for hours on end, they will never drive you out of the room, something I cannot say for some Focal speakers I've experienced. They also scale incredibly fast and you will never, ever hear a Dyn "break up" during scaling.

The Dynaudio Esotar tweeters are regarded by many reviewers, owners and manufacturers as one of the finest tweeters ever made, and are a key differentiator for Dynaudio.

As for the Confidence C1 Platinum, this is one of the finest standmount speakers ever made by anyone. They have superb accuracy, transparency, speed, neutrality, outstanding imaging and impressive bass and lower octave response for a standmount loudspeaker. While they are a (large) standmount, they have a performance envelope comparable to a floorstander.

Also, and this should not be overlooked, is the post-sale support and service one can get from Dynaudio North America, evne if you are not the original purchaser. If you ever need a replacement part or driver, Dynaudio makes parts available for 10 years after a product is discontinued, and if you still need a part after that, because Dyn manufactures their own drivers, they will make a single driver for you.

Just my 2¢, take it for what its worth, but if its a choice between a Confidence C1 Platinum and Focal, that's an easy one for me (and yes, I am biased from the 10+ years of very satisfying Dynaudio ownership! ).
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-17-2019 at 02:40 PM.