View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I have Mackenzie XLR interconnects, and my Mc Amp meter is crooked, the right meter is always higher until I swap the cable around, then the left meter is higher. Hopefully the higher end has higher quality control, and hopefully on the lower end the problem is isolated.
Wow, never experienced that in their cables yet. You can always send them back, even out of warranty, for a fair evaluation and service. Probably just needs re-termination. That is certainly very frustrating, though!

I'm very sensitive to L/R imbalances, and they can creep in anywhere -- especially with tubes, phono cartridges, and room anomalies in the mix. For years I've obsessively played small imbalances off of each other with various L/R swaps, so that they don't meaningfully accumulate, but now I'm starting to REALLY appreciate a well implemented fine-grained balance control (preamp) that doesn't degrade sound quality when engaged. That said, cables are one component that should NEVER have any perceptible imbalance!

Actually I did have a old Wild XLR connector finally lose connection from repeated stress of bending -- A few too many times I tried to fit a 1.0m run into a tight spot (from preamp to monoblock on the other side) where it was too short. The new upper-line RCA and XLR connectors seem to be better about that.

Last edited by mulveling; 11-07-2017 at 01:41 AM.