View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 02:07 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Default Digital Dillemma - Please Help!

Ok, the last few months I have continually thrown money at my system, and while I have seen some upgrades, the last few weeks have been pretty frustrating.

To solve my frustration, I of course threw more money at the "problem" and bought a bunch of DACs thinking I could find that liquid midrange, and warm natural, involving sound I want.

All the while, I've been overlooking probably the most critical thing...my source.

Thanks to many of you who have helped set me straight. I experimented (with my meager MacMini) and was blown away at how much the source makes a difference.

I now have hope that my "done" is much closer than I previously feared.

I still could see my self "DAC Rolling" to vary the sound to my mood, but need to get serious about my source. I've narrowed it down to the following:

All separates - DAC, Streamer (without storage), external storage (like ROON, etc)

More integrated separates - Streamer/storage combo, DAC

or fully integrated (DAC/Streamer/Storage combo)

SQ is the top priority (and more specifically, the "flavor" I'm after, very warm, organic sound over analytical.

Which route should I go?

The short list I've come up with is the following:

Lumin U1 (as dedicated streamer only), DACs (to taste), and adding some server storage down the road

Aurender W20 (used), Streamer/Server together - to DACs (could still DAC Roll if I wanted)

Aurender A30 as DAC/Streamer/Storage (no DAC rolling here, but if it sounds good enough...)

dCS Rossini as DAC/Streamer - with plans to add a clock and external storage down the road

Linn Klimax DSM/2 as DAC/Streamer combo (used)

For DAC Rolling, I now have the PS Audio DSD, an MDA-1000, a dCS Dabussy, and the Schiit YGGY LIM. I plan to do a DAC Shootout sometime next week, where I may get to hear an Aqua La Scala, and a Lumin Dac/streamer. I've been interested to check out the Lampizator Baltic 3 as a tube dac, but the whole DAC list is another issue, for another day.

My head is about to explode! I never knew you needed to be an engineer to setup an all digital front end.

My buying style is to buy used whenever possible, and with Digital changing daily, I am not in need of the "latest and greatest" as that will be obsolete tomorrow. A setup that sounded amazing a few years ago, is probably all I'll need to be content.

I'm just looking at the correct source or combo that will take the digital edges away from the music and sound pleasing today, and for years to come.

I hate any sort of brightness, so I'd err on the side of less detail to get more warmth if that makes sense.

I've always been a "separates" guy, but I'm open to be schooled.

What do you all say?
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW