Thread: Roger Russell
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 06:45 PM

I'm deeply saddened on hearing of Roger's passing. I've been emailing him since 2000. In his last email a month ago he mentioned he was 86 and said the facility he was at didn't want to take medicare, so he was worried about having to move.
My first piece of McIntosh gear was the C26 preamp, which he designed. I also have XR250s, XR290s, XL1s (for surround sound), and a pair of his new columns he designed after retirement. After I bought the XR250s used, my friend wanted a pair and Roger agreed to sell his personal pair, so we took a road trip to his house in Orlando. He had large photo albums with pictures from his days at McIntosh. He had lots of Mystery Clocks all over the house, his 2nd love. It seemed like he had music playing in every room. He let us listen to his first prototype columns speakers, which he built using surplus Sony TV speakers. They sounded much better than you would suspect.
Roger would send me music to push the limits of the XR290s, as well as articles he wrote for magazines.

I will miss him greatly.
Leonard