View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvo View Post
Hi, I’m a newbie here so I need your advice. I always had Mcintosh gear for the past 25 years, last year I bought a pair Revel Salon 2 speakers and I really like it , I have Mcintosh MC601s and C2600 preamp but somehow I don’t like bass in this systems so I want to make change , I just bought a Ref6 pre and I’m looking for a new amp . Any recommend from current Salon 2 owner are welcome . Do you think any Audio Research amp that has enough power to drive the Salon 2 ? Here is the list of amp that I heard very good on the review .
- Krell FPB600 , FPB 700cx or 450 cx
- Hegel H30
- Pass labs X350.5 or X.350.8
- Audio Research Ref 75se .
Please let me know what’s your thought.
Thanks
Paul
I have Revel salon 2 and ref 6 preamp. The salon2s are a bit difficult to drive so they need at least 250W or more. This rules out The ref 75se.
All the mentioned Krell amps will easily drive the Salons and the Ref 6 matches well with a Krell. I had the Krell FPB 450 Mcx a few years ago and it’s a very good amp. It was replaced with a Krell Evolution 403E with similar power. The Evolution sounds a bit more refined than 450mcx.
I also have ARC ref 250se monoblocks which can drive the salon 2s fairly easily. The ref250se sounds very different than the Krell. ARC being a tube amp has better imaging, vocal and soundstage. The Krell is more dynamic and has better low end which is what they are known for. I tend to use the Krell for casual listening and home theater.
I also had Pass labs x250.5 for a few days didn’t like them, way too warm.
I borrowed a friend’s Ayre KXR 20 preamp with MXR 20 amp driving the Salon 2 and I really liked this combination. If I were to start over, I would go with this combination. It sounds so natural and easy to listen. It has the best of solid state and tube qualities.

I hope this information helps a bit.

Rich