View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 08:04 PM
George

To me what you describe is the Mac sound, a bit heavy on the bass, good midrange, light on detail. I normally would recommend all Audio Research gear. I was shocked by how synergistic it is. But I am not sure the ARC 75se will be up to it. 86db sensitivity of the speakers is my concern. Someone else chime in if you disagree. But the REF160m maybe s would probably have enough power. What kind of music do you listen to? That could swing the argument. I owned a Pass x350 for many years with several different Sonus Speakers. I loved it. Great slam and detail. Only small risk would be you might loose a bit too much midrange. With ARC it is just right. I know Krell as well... could go either way.

Let me tell you my biased opinion. You see my bias in my signature line. My first high end preamp was ARC, it stopped my constant searching for a great preamp... took me another 35 years to afford a REF 5. The Audio Research Reference 6 is a world class preamp, musical, detailed, and well balanced... it does everything well. If you like the sound, make a long termed plan to build all ARC components to compliment it. Understanding that a speaker change might be a bit earlier in the future than you wished if it turns out a bit too inefficient.

Maybe go to a showroom featuring all ARC components to confirm your interest in following through with all ARC.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 04-10-2021 at 08:20 PM.