Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
“One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor”

With Benchmark’s 30 day return policy, you really can’t go wrong - if it doesn’t float your boat, send it back.

I just don’t trust DAC reviews because of confirmation bias “my Belchfire 5000 was worth every penny of the $80,000 I spent”. Also big differences between everyone’s systems makes comparisons really difficult.

Enjoy the experience!

Tom

I had not looked at DACs much for the past five years. Researching again and looking at the various applications, It's interesting how some well known manufacturers will hang on to use of a former generation DAC inside (-3, -2, -1) for many years before they upgrade to a newer version DAC. And yet others are full steam ahead on the latest generation DAC. Understandably manufacturing costs having something to do with it of course, but something else appears to be happening with consumers (new to me). As I started looking into this more I've come across individuals who are seeking units with "older" DACs in them (and older designs) looking for a particular "sound" somehow implying in some way that "newer is not always better", etc. I'm guessing here some of the newer units (by some manufacturers) can be overly detailed or edgy with some brands and designs with some of the newer gen DACs and how they were/are being implemented the past 2-3 years. And, comments of latest generation designs fixing some of these issues, sort "taming" the sound closer to what I'm familiar with from some of the "polite Britt" DACS I've owned and tried. Who knows, may end right back where I started... hahah.

Hmmm... seems probable I may be rotating though a few DACs again until I find one with a good synergy with my system. Guess I have a lot to learn here to catch back up.

Last edited by decooney; 10-25-2018 at 09:35 AM.