Thread: MC 3500 Mark II
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
audioquest, my source at Mac volunteered that the 3500 is significantly more powerful than the 2301, to the amount of 200-250 watts. He was not sure if it would equal the 550 watts continuous watts per channel of the original 3500. This is not dynamic headroom but continuous watts.

Best

Charles
Holy cow, that’s a lot more tube watts than the MC2301s. Glad you were able to obtain some information from McIntosh, of course, more is better. Will be interesting to see power output curves matrixed against THD at various power levels. The German magazine Audio did a review of the MC2301 years ago and said it was most powerful quiet tube amp they ever tested. I recall that they were getting somewhere around 450 watts in some specific ohm range that escape me. But, wow, McIntosh build some powerful tube amps.

Although I do not necessarily need more tube watts (yeah right, why turn down more, LoL), I am very curious as to how the lower THD, dynamic range, headroom, and S/N will factor in the overall sound of the MC3500s. Specs alone indicate that the MC3500s should sound better and be more dynamic. That’s what I am really interested in.