View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
I just tried adding a single 3' x 11" trap immediately adjacent to the outside of the left main. The image became congested, with either reflection or absorption facing the listening position. Back out it went and the image sharpness returned. It looks asymmetrical, but I am going with my ears on this one.
Asymmetrical or not, your ears have to be the ultimate judge.

I've found that in my case the inboard 11-inch "supplementals" to the 9-inch "clamping" traps work best with the forward edge of the 11-inchers set back about 2 inches from the plane formed by the forward edges of the left and right 9-inch traps (which themselves are "flush" with the speaker baffle board). Aligning the 11-incher on the 9-inchers'-and-speaker plane introduces the same congestive effect you've noted. (Sounds anal as heck, I know, but it works.)

As Michael Adams has indicated, positioning the attack traps relative to the speakers to get the best result will vary. Certainly true here.

Bedroom:
Aurender N150-->Bryston BDA-3-->EMIA Elmaformer Cu passive line stage-->conrad-johnson MF2500-->Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Wireworld Eclipse IC and SC
Shunyata Delta D6, Alpha XC, Delta NR v.2, Alpha USB; Altaira CG Hub
Stillpoints Aperture II; Ultra SS; Ultra Mini
GIK Monster; 242
Butcher Block Acoustics Maple Platforms