View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 09:25 AM

I'm always amazed at how customized and personal high end audio systems are. I could spend a good amount of time studying your system and even then wouldn't completely understand it.

I agree with you that Mac has achieved a detailed highly resolved SS sound that is non fatiguing in the mid/high frequencies. Very difficult to do. Many years ago I owned an original Mac 275 paired with Dalquist DQ 10's. It was a lovely sound competitive with anything today near its price point. I was very stressed with the job and got tired of the tubes because I couldn't figure out when to turn them on and when to turn them off. I didn't have much listening time.

So I bought a MC2100 105 watt/ch SS amp, which today would not command close to the respect of a MC275 tube. However, I had pretty good ears in those days and through the DQ10's it was amazing how similar the sound, top to bottom. I never forgot that.

Mac has been making tube and SS amps for a very long time. Mac began their solid state journey by creating SS amps with similar sound signatures as their tube gear. That's why I like the Mac sound so much. I believe the autoformers are responsible for much of the Mac sound, which is quite unique.

Mac bass is truly excellent, being neither over or under damped.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-18-2020 at 08:57 AM.