View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 11:33 PM

Default Repair or replace?

For a while now, I've been using a PS Audio P10 which was purchased used from a local new/used hifi dealer. Unfortunately, it died and is out of warranty. Specifically, it shuts down after power cycling even with nothing connected.

I'm a fan of Shunyata's products and my cable loom includes several Delta and Alpha V1 and V2 cords, and also an Alpha Ethernet.

PS Audio will repair the P10 with a cap on the repair cost at $1,000. However, freight both ways is likely to run a couple hundred dollars at least and I'm a little worried that because the regenerators are active devices, it could happen again.

So, I'm looking for a little advice. My options are as follows:

1) Repair the P10 (cheapest option in the short term).
2) Trade in the P10 on a P12 or P15 ($3000 and $4500 w/ trade-in discount respectively). Own the newer model with a full warranty.
3) Buy a Shunyata conditioner.

If I go option 3, of course there are several options.

1) Keep the cost down, get a Hydra D6 ($3250)
2) Buy a used Denali V1 ($3000-3500)
3) Buy a new Denali V2 ($5500)
4) Go nuts, buy an Everest and don't look back

Option 1 feels like too much a compromise. I'm sure it's great, but at a similar price option 2 seems to make more sense, assuming I can find one.

Option 3 and 4 are the ideal, except for the cost.

My system:

Focal Sopra No 2
Parasound JC2 BP/JC5
Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC
Mofi Ultradeck/Hana SL/JC3 Jr

Right now, I use the Delta V2's on the DAC and preamp, Alpha V2 to power the amp and an Alpha V1 into a Pangea Octet distributor (bought as a temporary measure).

For my gear level, I suspect the Denali or Denali V2 would be the recommended choice. However, the Everest isn't out of the question budget-wise.

Thoughts? Aside from 8 outlets vs 6 and the larger QR/BB capacity, is there another difference?

Also, would a C19 Alpha NR V1 serve as a decent inlet line or would it hold the performance back significantly? Likely, I'd use that cable to supply any distributor I buy for the time being.

Thanks.

Last edited by ChrisMag; 08-19-2021 at 11:35 PM.